Working with the Media for Social Change
Many CSOs find themselves at a loss on how to strategically work with journalists and engage media producers in order to amplify their message. This is further exacerbated by the rise of digital media and social media, whose commercial imperatives are often in opposition with non-profit motivations. Media bias, resource deficits and corporate and state control can also be significant barriers to the communication efforts of CSOs.
Nevertheless, media can be a key conduit for communication with a broad cross-section of stakeholders and communities, which is why working with media can be crucial to build public support and reinforce positive norms and values regarding young people’s SRHR and gender justice. It is important that civil society builds and maintains engagement with media institutions given their potential power as agents of large-scale social change.
What capacity strengthening support can we provide on this topic?
Our training covers practical tactics on successfully working with the media on issues for social change. Since the media can either bolster or undermine your progress, it is crucial for your organisation to develop a sustainable NGOs-media partnership and collaboration for social change and our training can help set you on the right path.
Our approach enables you to:
- Shift your mentality and understand the media industry and their roles on SDGs delivery
- Understand how to work with media organisations successfully and sustainably
- Define your media engagement goals and map media actors and their influence
- Amplify your message in both the online and offline media landscapes
- Explore successful case studies of media collaboration and mutual capacity development
- Produce a critical media discourse analysis to counter negative media narratives
- Manage risks of working with media and social media
What could the CS look like?
- We facilitate an interactive 3-day training (4 hrs/day in person, blended or online), accompanied by an e-learning component
- Depending on your specific goals, we can provide coaching on media collaboration and working with journalists
What tools are available?
- E-learning component on our Online Learning Academy with learning content, case studies & practical templates
What languages can this CS support be provided in? English and French