Meaningful Youth Participation (MYP) and Youth Adult Partnerships (YAPs)
RHRN2 advocates for the sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) of young people, and their meaningful participation in issues which affect their lives. This CS will increase participants’ knowledge and skills in the area of Meaningful Youth Participation and Youth-Adult Partnerships.
What capacity strengthening support can we provide on this topic?
The RHRN program prides itself on being both for young people and by young people. For this reason, RHRN is a Youth-Adult Partnership (YAP) which ensures that young people meaningfully participate in all levels and stages of our program, and meaningful youth participation, or MYP, is one of the core values shared across our program, which all of us are expected to uphold. As an expert on MYP and YAPs, CHOICE can offer various capacity strengthening and support on these topics to both young people and adults at an individual, organizational, and platform level.
What could the CS look like?
There are many types of capacity strengthening that CHOICE can offer on MYP and YAPs, from training sessions, to facilitating an MYP assessment for organizations and country coalitions. Since country context and socio-cultural factors play a large role in strengthening or hindering MYP and YAPs, CHOICE aims to take a tailored approach to any CS we offer. This means that we like to work closely with country coalitions to find out what the key issues are and think together on how best to solve them. Of course, you can also email us and set up a skype call to discuss any issues – we are happy to brainstorm together on how to support MYP and YAPs in your organization/platform/activity!
What tools are available?
- The Flower of Participation. ENG Flower-of-Participation-Narrative.pdf | FR La-Fleur-de-la-Participation.pdf
- The Graph of Participation – a tool to help both young people and adults assess the extent to which MYP is integrated into their activity, program, and/or organization; the assessment is followed by creating action plans to strengthen MYP. This tool cannot be shared externally.
- The MYP Position Paper. ENG https://www.youthdoit.org/assets/Uploads/MYPpositionpaper.pdf.
- A youth-friendly online toolkit guide offers advice, hints and tips on how you can strengthen youth-adult partnerships by involving young people from the start. Empowering Youth Voices - A guide to support youth advocates (Dance4Life)
- The A-Z of MYP Training Manual.
- MYP checklists – we have checklists for MYP in (i) organizations, (ii) CSE programs, (iii) YFHS programs, (iv) advocacy in programs, and (v) MYP in other programs.
- Youth-Adult Partnership toolkit. ENG and FR
What languages can this CS support be provided in?
English and French. The A-Z of MYP Training Manual and the YAPs toolkit will be translated to French.